you all

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Jan 25 02:58:48 UTC 2004

I take it as a formulaic peculiarity of his on-air style. He usually ends each segment by saying "thank you all X very much" where X is a number; So if he's been talking with 4 people he says "thank you all 4 very much".
Also, he's pretty clear in making it "you all" and not  "yall" .
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of James C. Stalker
Sent: Sat 1/24/2004 8:30 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      you all

Jim Leher (Newshhour, Jan 22) made the following statement at the end of a
discussion of political matter with Shields & Brooks.  "Thank you all, both."
 Can we take this as a bit of evidence that the plurality of you all (yall) is
weakening, or we just relegate it to politeness or a mistake?

Jim Stalker
stalker at msu.edu