Montagnards & 9 yards proposal

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jan 25 15:43:02 UTC 2004

I wouldn't call this support for the Montagnard hypothesis. It simply
demonstrates that the term was current in military slang at the
time--something we already knew and which is not in dispute. The hypothesis
is still light on lexical evidence that connects the phrase with the slang
"yards" meaning Montagnards.

Finding the term "nine yards" referring to the Montagnard people as a whole
would be real support.

> By the way, numberwise, google gives several hits for Montenyards
> and mon-ten-YARDS.

This is simply proof of misspellings committed after 1994 (the birth of the
web). There are only about 30 hits each for "montenyard" and "montonyard,"
compared to over 85,000 for "montagnard," clearly indicating that those are
simply random misspellings.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net