MacNeil-Lehrer News Hr

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Jan 26 15:37:58 UTC 2004

Whether he's Texan or Oklahoman, his use of "you all" rather than "yall" is
interesting (I agree with Matt Gordon that he never says "yall").  Does
Southern "yall" become "you all" west of the Mississippi?  I believe
Bethany has the full form too, right?  And Dan Rather does too, I think
(from Houston, as I recall).  Maybe we've drawn these divisions
before.  The same thing happens north of the Ohio, as in SE Ohio, where
just yesterday I heard a local announcer address the listening audience as
"you all."