MacNeil-Lehrer News Hr

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Jan 26 17:13:39 UTC 2004

My mother, who grew up in Houston and then Oklahoma City, always addressed
my sister and me collectively as "you all," though we grew up in California
and Oregon, and her speech had few other traces of Texas or Oklahoma in it.
I don't remember her using it in any other context, though I'm sure she
grew up with either you all or y'all as the normal 2nd person plural.  I
always assumed she was consciously adopting an original y'all for this
particular context because she found it handy and "translating" it to you
all in an adaptation to the northern milieu in which we lived.  I THINK I
even remember her saying as much one time, but unfortunately I don't
remember whether she cited the original form she was borrowing from.

I wonder if Jim Lehrer might be doing something similar--taking an original
y'all and modifying it to you all as a concession to his national audience.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, January 26, 2004 10:37 AM -0500 Beverly Flanigan