YOU ALL is not Y'ALL

Mon Jan 26 17:38:48 UTC 2004

YOU ALL as an emphatic form of YOU is quite common outside the South. At
least that is my intuition as a native speaker of Iowan. It is common to say
things like "I want you all to eat your spinach" or even "I want you all three to
eat your spinach." Likewise, "I want to thank you all four for being here
tonight." True, "I want you all to eat your spinach" is odd when addressed to two
people, as is "I want you all two to eat your spinach"; but only because
English normally requires BOTH in the dual; ALL means 'three or more'.

If someone who regularly uses the phrase "I want to thank you all three for
being here tonight" as the way of closing a broadcast interview, it would not
be surprising for that person to say mistakenly, "I want to thank you all two
for being here tonight." But even if such a speaker idiosyncratically decides
that "all two" is a satisfactory equivalent for "both" in this environment, an
explanation based on the normal acceptability of "all" followed by a number
greater than "2"; this is such a plausible explanation, it seems to me, that any
putative connection with Southern "y'all" seems to me highly unlikely.