Thank all you for thinking about question

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Mon Jan 26 18:28:33 UTC 2004

> If=20
> people still believed in a competence/performance distinction, this
> would be=
>  a=20
> very good example of the difference, it seems to me.

Of course, since the movie example is scripted and edited, I'm assuming
it's less likely to be performance error.

Dennis

Dennis Baron                                                office: 217-244-0568
Professor of English and Linguistics              mobile: 217-840-0776
Department of English                                           fax: 217-333-4321
University of Illinois             https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/debaron/www
608 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
debaron at uiuc.edu