origin of "Bruce" implying "gay"?

Tue Jan 27 17:48:58 UTC 2004

Someone on another list I subscribe to wrote:

This is where "Bruce" as a synonym for a gay man came from.  As in
"Bruce Wayne."  Wertham said that the arrangement where Bruce Wayne and
Dick Grayson live together was a gay man's wet dream.  Hence the
appearance in some parts of the Batman Mythos of Bruce's elderly aunt
(disremember her name) to provide some sort of female presence.
        <<<

What's known about the origin of this -- well, I wouldn't call it a
synonym, but a snide implicator?

-- Mark A. Mandel