Antedating of "odd man out" 1873

James Knight, MLIS jlk at 3GECKOS.NET
Thu Jan 29 03:18:23 UTC 2004

Probably not quite the same meaning, but...

<<< snip >>>

The Times, Monday, Jun 01, 1840; pg. 8; Issue 17372; col A
TO LADIES.-For SALE, To-day and during
Category: Classified Advertising

As Groom, or odd man out, of the house, a remarkably sober and respectable
young man from the country, age 28, who can drive a pair, and has a good
knowledge of a garden and meadow land. Can have two years' character.
Direct to J.B., 5, Canal-road, Mile-end.

<<< snip >>>

Does the OED count advertisements?