Two Tacos Short of a Combination Plate (1986)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 29 03:54:12 UTC 2004

   Tacos in Wyoming?

Kennedy Calls Rehnquist 'Too Extreme'; Judiciary Committee Opens Hearings on Nomination for Chief Justice Kennedy Calls Rehnquist 'Too Extreme' to Head Court
By George Lardner Jr. and Al Kamen Washington Post Staff Writers. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jul 30, 1986. p. A1 (2 pages) :
Pg. A6:
   Sen. Alan K. Simpson (R.-Wyo.) told Rehnquist that the rest of the proceedings would be like riding "a Brahma bull."  He told the nominee to expect "loose facts, nastiness, hype, hoorah, maybe a little bit of hysteria" and to "be prepared to hear himself described as a racist, extremist, trampler of the poor, assassin of the First Amendment...and a crazed young law clerk who was about two tacos short of a combination plate."

Two Tacos Short of a Combination Plate:[FINAL Edition]
The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext). Washington, D.C.:  Feb 23, 1989.  pg. a.18
Column Name:
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Section:
OP/ED
Publication title:
The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext). Washington, D.C.: Feb 23, 1989.  pg. a.18

Abstract (Article Summary)
So what did Mr. [Rowland Evans] and Mr. [Robert Novak] miss? Just that point-my absolute, loyal and strong support of John Tower's nomination. They also failed to report on a good conversation I had with Mr. Tower in the past few days. During that conversation, he indicated that he would recuse himself from all decisions involving the disbarment or suspension of a defense contractor he may have worked for in the past. That's certainly more than he has to do, but John Tower is, above all, an honorable man. Any concern I have had about conflict of interest has now been fully addressed.

Full Text (336   words)
Copyright The Washington Post Company Feb 23, 1989

As is their wont, the ever puckish pair of Rowland Evans and Robert Novak have penned a column that misses just a few key points-especially in their discussion of me {"John Tower: Victim of Rumor ..." op-ed, Feb. 8}. As we say in Wyoming, their reporting is about two tacos short of a combination plate.

I have personally known and respected John Tower for many years. My father knew Mr. Tower when they both served in the Senate more than 25 years ago. John Tower is bright, witty, articulate and extremely knowledgeable. I value and cherish his friendship. And I have made many, many positive statements about his nomination to become secretary of defense. Most important, I have said he should be confirmed-and I predict that he will.

So what did Mr. Evans and Mr. Novak miss? Just that point-my absolute, loyal and strong support of John Tower's nomination. They also failed to report on a good conversation I had with Mr. Tower in the past few days. During that conversation, he indicated that he would recuse himself from all decisions involving the disbarment or suspension of a defense contractor he may have worked for in the past. That's certainly more than he has to do, but John Tower is, above all, an honorable man. Any concern I have had about conflict of interest has now been fully addressed. Those reporters who contacted me in the past week know of that conversation. They all checked with me-Mr. Evans and Mr. Novak did not.

Mr. Evans and Mr. Novak seem to have an elfish sense of perversity, and this is often manifested in bizarre allegations-for example, "with friends like Simpson, who needs enemies"?

I would gather that these columnists seem to support John Tower's nomination. If so, they would have done themselves and their cause a far better service had they given either Mr. Tower or me a call before they wrote their column. Too bad they didn't-it diminishes their credibility.

ALAN R. SIMPSON

U.S. Senator (R-Wyo.)

Washington