Off the wall

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Jun 1 03:24:03 UTC 2004

FWIW, the late, great blues harpist, Marion Walter "Little Walter"
Jacobs, recorded an instrumental with the title, "Off The Wall," on
March 4, 1953 at the Chess Records studio in Chicago.
Contemporaneously, the phrase, "off the wall," became hip among blacks.
We used it as a general pejorative with the meanings "lame, uncool,
unhip, countrified, stupid, fucked up," etc. In fact, we "old heads"
still use it with these meanings. I've long wondered whether the slang
term was derived from the song title or the song title was inspired by
the slang phrase. Normally, a song would become popular and contribute
new words and/or phrases to the vocabulary of slang. But "Off The
Wall," being an instrumental, had no words, except for its title. And
there's the mystery as to why this neutral phrase came to be used only
as a pejorative, given that a very similar phrase, "off the hook," is
used only as a meliorative.