American English interdental /l/

Mark Jones markjjones at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 1 15:29:05 UTC 2004

Dear List Members,

As a native speaker of British English, I have the impression that an
interdental lateral /l/ is a possible realisation in American English,
perhaps associated with young West Coast females. I would appreciate
hearing from anyone who has any insights and observations, or
published data, on how common this realisation of /l/ is and whether
my impressions are correct. I will post a summary of any responses in
due course.

This request for information has also been posted on LinguistList. I
apologise to those of you who have received it from both sources.

Many thanks

Mark

Mark J. Jones
Department of Linguistics