Phat [was Re: gay/ghey/ghay]

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Jun 1 15:47:49 UTC 2004

That's interesting to know. I'd always considered the use of "phat(t)"
to be strictly a local, New-York-City thing. I also considered it to be
a lame, off-the-wall expression with no staying power. To this day,
I've never had occasion to speak this word. Even when I was in the
Army, with other brothers from all over the US, I never heard anyone
use "phat(t)." Imagine my astonishment when it, from my point of view,
suddenly rose from the dead, decades after the one other time that I'd
ever heard it, riding the crest of the wave of hip-hop. As the late,
great Fats Waller once put it, "One never knows, do one?"

-Wilson Gray