Phat [was Re: gay/ghey/ghay]

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jun 2 02:46:13 UTC 2004

Thank you for bringing these sites to my attention. The kinds of folk
etymologies that you supply are completely foreign to my experience.
I've read about them, of course, but I've never heard anything of this
type proposed by any black person, with the sole exceptions of
"phat(t)" and "mot," meaning "member of the tribe." (I've read
somewhere or other that "mot" is also or originally Jewish slang.
Interesting.) The closest that I can come to anything like these are
locutions like "HNIC" and "HNOD,"which are always spelled out and never
pronounced. Their meanings are, respectively, "head nigger in charge"
and "head nigger on duty."  And there's also BYB/BYOB, meaning "bring
your (own) bottle," and KYPIYP "keep your peter in your pants" and some
others. These are likewise always spelled out and never pronounced.
Since I first heard these when I was in grade school in the 'Forties
and have never in my life met any black person who was unfamiliar with
them, I'm probably safe in assuming they are universally known among
black Americans. Well, among men, at least. Women, for some reason,
never seem to be a source of slang and screw it up when they try to use
it. E.g., a girl I knew back in the day would always hypercorrect "lay
dead" = "relax/kick back at home by oneself, hang around the house
doing nothing in particular," to "play dead."
This is just a stab in the dark, but my guess is that, given that all
of us blacks know that our dialect is itself non-standard, we have no
motivation to perceive non-standardness as something that needs to be
dealt with.
FWIW, now that I think about it, the hypercorrection of "lay dead" to
"play dead" could be understood as an instance of folk etymology.

-Wilson Gray