Phat [was Re: gay/ghey/ghay]

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jun 2 13:23:40 UTC 2004

I don't believe that anyone is arguing about the meaning of the word; I
certainly am not. That "phat" is used to describe a sexually attractive
woman is beyond dispute.

The question is whether or not it formed as an acronym or whether the
acronym explanation arose later. Do you have other examples of BE words
formed from acronyms? Is acronyming a productive source of non-technical
terms in BE?

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net