"Sometimes you eat the bear..." (1904); "Tools of Ignorance"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 3 04:25:10 UTC 2004

SOMETIMES YOU EAT THE BEAR, AND SOMETIMES THE BEAR EATS YOU

(ADS-L)
Sometimes, you eat the bear; sometimes, the bear eats you.
-Wilson Gray

YOU EAT THE BEAR--1,530 Google hits, 4,870 Google Groups hits
BEAR EATS YOU--693 Google hits, 2,340 Google Groups hits

   Or, as Carole King used to sing. "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose."
   Where does this come from?  These searches aren't easy.  You can replace
"eat" with "hunt" and "get."  It goes back at least 100 years.
    I don't know about Fred Shapiro's bear collection.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Some Heartbreaks Are Relined
By JOHN S. RADOSTA Special to The New York Times. New York Times
(1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 21, 1973. p. 93 (1 page) :
   DAYTONE BEACH, Fla., Feb. 28--"Some days you eat the bear," Bobby Allison
was saying, "and some days the bear eats you. "

Hunting: Some Days You Eat the Bear, Some Days --
BY ANGUS PHILLIPS. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.:
Dec 7, 1979. p. W45 (1 page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Indiana Democrat - 12/14/1904
...SOMETIMES you bunt THE BEAR, and SOMETIMES THE BEAR hunts you and oace
in.....him rope and turned off sideways. THE BEAR went to THE end of THE forty
foot..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, December 14, 1904  828 k

New Oxford Item - 1/13/1905
...SOMETIMES you hunt THE BEAR, and SOMETIMES THE BEAR hunts and once in
a.....At one end of THE cabin a brown BEAR paced ceaselessly to and fro with..
New Oxford, Pennsylvania Friday, January 13, 1905  619 k

Walla Walla Union Bulletin - 5/31/1976
...later put it, "SOMETIMES THE BEAR eats you and SOMETIMES you eat THE
.....and he would have come out-loaded for BEAR. It would have been a heck of a..
Walla Walla, Washington Monday, May 31, 1976  651 k

Lincoln Star - 5/31/1976
...Indy INDIANAPOLIS (AP) "SOMETIMES THE BEAR eats you and SOMETIMES you eat
THE.....That's just THE way things work out SOMETIMES. "I feel sorry for A.
J., but..
Lincoln, Nebraska Monday, May 31, 1976  599 k

Frederick Post - 5/14/1984
...YOU eat the BEAR, and sometimes the BEAR EATS YOU." Storm Davis,
3-0.....Knights finished no lower than fifth. "YOU've got to have the numbers in
order..
Frederick, Maryland Monday, May 14, 1984  766 k

Mountain Democrat - 7/28/1989
...SOMETIMES you eat THE BEAR, and SOMETIMES THE BEAR eats you. THE BEAR
.....see THE shots people take on TV, and SOMETIMES it's tough to get up from..
Placerville, California Friday, July 28, 1989  516 k

Chronicle Telegram - 12/12/1994
...year, SOMETIMES you eat THE BEAR, and SOMETIMES THE BEAR eats you. Today,
THE.....THE Oilers. After taking THE brunt of THE criticism for THE loss
against THE..
Elyria, Ohio Monday, December 12, 1994  663 k

Mountain Democrat - 9/12/1997
...HILLS SOME DAYS you eat THE BEAR SOME DAYS THE BEAR eats you. Monday THE
Oak.....THE truth. It is true that THEre are SOME really fast runners out THEre
who..
Placerville, California Friday, September 12, 1997  526 k

Wellsboro Gazette - 5/26/1999
...SOMETIMES you get THE BEAR, and SOMETIMES THE BEAR gets Mansfield
coach.....one hit." THE only hit of THE game for THE Tigers came in THE bottom of THE
..
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania Wednesday, May 26, 1999  509 k

Gettysburg Times - 2/3/2003
...win. "SOMETIMES you eat THE BEAR and SOMETIMES THE BEAR eats said
Hefner.....cut THE lead to 59-56 with left. Dana BEAR hit a runner in THE lane and THE
..

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Monday, February 03, 2003  711 k

(GOOGLE GROUPS)