Oreo Ice Cream (1975); "But I know what I like"(1877); Terroir; Cat & Gooseberry

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 4 07:20:53 UTC 2004

   I attended a wine and cheese tasting at Agata & Valentina at First Avenue
and 79th Street.  It's by http://epicurean.sturman.com.  The fabulous
wine-tasting woman, Sheri Sauter, MW, CWE (featured in FORTUNE magazine last week),
refused to marry me.
   I got home, got access to Proquest Historical Newspapers through SABR,
watched THE DAILY SHOW at the same time, nodded off, and woke up to find that I
had access to all of ProQuest!

OREO COOKIE ICE CREAM

   Emack and Bolio's ice cream has opened up at East 81st Street and First
Avenue (near Agata & Valentina).  I don't know if the revised OED is entering
"OREO," but see the ADS-L archives for that name.  Emack and Bolio's takes
credit for inventing Oreo cookie ice cream.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.emackandbolios.com/icecream2.htm
"The Original" Oreo Cookie-Invented by us in 1975.  The most popular flavor
of
      the 80s with chunks of Oreo cookie in a vanilla/Oreao base.

"BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE"

   Sheri Sauter ("that wine woman") told us that wine tasting is like art--"I
don't know much about art, but I know what I like."
   I revisited the phrase and found a bit earlier than I'd posted.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
    1.  Article 2 -- No Title
Scribner's Monthly (1870-1881). New York: Feb 1877. Vol. VOL. XIII., Iss. No.
4.; p. 562 (2 pages)
Second page:  WHEN a person prefaces his opinion of a picture or of a piece
of music, with this formula,--"I don't profess to know anything about art (or
music), but I know what I like,"--then look out for dogmatism of the most
flagrant sort.  If "what I like" is different from what you like, your liking is
ser down forthwith as either affectation, or the result of some kind of personal
and temporary influence.

    2.  THE RISE OF SILAS LAPHAM.
BY W. D. HOWELLS, Author of "Venetian Life," "A Chance Acquaintance," "A
Modern Instance," "A Woman's Reason," etc.. Century Illustrated Magazine
(1881-1906). New York: Apr 1885. Vol. VOL. XXIX., Iss. No. 6.; p. 858 (15 pages)

    3.  NEW YORK AFTER PARIS.
W C BROWNELL. New Princeton Review (1886-1888). New York: Jul 1888. p. 80 (15
pages)

    4.  Wanted--A Standard of Criticism.
The Musical Visitor, a Magazine of Musical Literature and Music (1883-1897).
Cincinnati: Jun 1892. Vol. 21, Iss. 6; p. 156 (2 pages)
Second page:  I do not know much about music, says a friend, but I know what
I like.  Is not this "liking" about all that any one can judge from?

    5.  THE BASES OF APPRECIATION IN ART.
EDWARD E. HALE, JR.. a Semi - monthly Journal of Literary Criticism,
Discussion, and Information (1880-1929). Sep 16, 1895. Vol. Volume XIX., Iss. No.
222.; p. 141 (3 pages)
First page:  In literature, in painting, and elsewhere, the generally
accepted dictum is, "I don't know anything about the rules of art, but I know what I
like," with which is coupled a firm determination not to like anything that
one doesn;t want to of one;s own mere motion, and, indeed, not to submit to any
interference that in any respect smacks of thought or knowledge of the matter
in hand.

)PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
IN THE INTEREST OF ART.; Many Artists Dine at the Reform Club and Talk of
Beautifying the City.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 23, 1898. p. 5 (1
page) :
   J. Q. A. Ward, President of the National Sculpture Society, reviewed the
career of the Commission of Parks and amused his hearers by allusions to the
monuments sought to be foisted on the city by well-meaning persons who confessed
that they did not know much about art, but "knew what they liked."

TERROIR

TERROIR--523,000 Google hits, 9,900 Google Groups hits
TERROIR ("English only" hits)--67,000 Google hits, 9,900 Google Groups hits

   Sheri Sauter (the wine woman who's marrying some lucky guy from North
Carolina and moving back to Duke) mentioned this word.  It seems quite popular in
the wine world and on the internet, but the OED (always miserable on food and
drink) declares it obscure and rare.

(OED)
terroir
Obs. rare.   a. = TERRITORY1.    b. Soil.
  1483 CAXTON Gold. Leg. 18/2 For to berye it in the terroir of the cyte of
Losane. 1660 Charac. Italy 83 Italy is the Garden of Europe, the Terroir being
gentle and copious.

CAT'S PEE ON A GOOSEBERRY BUSH

CAT + GOOSEBERRY BUSH--613 Google hits, 51 Google Groups hits

   Sheri Sauter also gave a brief mention about "cat's pee on a gooseberry
bush."

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Where to start?
... Broadbent often talks of mango chutney, Parker of "black fruits", and
Jancis Robinson will be forever famous for her "cat's pee on a wild gooseberry
bush". ...
alt.food.wine - Sep 28, 2001 by Elpaninaro - View Thread (14 articles)

Re: Great Haggis Recipes
There was a New Zealand chardonnay available in Britain a while back called "
Cat's Piss on a Gooseberry Bush", with a slightly Seussian picture of a cat on
the ...
alt.slack - Dec 18, 1996 by TechnoGoddess Jools - View Thread (30 articles)

Re: Carf Thefts - umra competition
... indeed, there is a wine hailing from New Zealand which refuses to faff
around with mock-Maori and entitles itself unashamedly "Cat's Pee On A
Gooseberry Bush". ...
uk.media.radio.archers - Oct 13, 1999 by Nick Leverton - View Thread (11
articles)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Gooseberries and a Cat.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Sep 25, 1904. p. S3 (1
page)
>From Collier's.
   Not long ago officials of the Department of Agriculture were much amused
by a letter sent the department by an occasional correspondent in Virginia.
   Among other things, the writer hastened to advise Secretary Wilson to this
effect:
   "My wife had a Tame cat that dyd.  Being a Tortureshell and a Grate
faverit, we had the same berred in the Gardin, and for the enrichment of the soil I
had the Carkis deposited under the roots of a Gooseberry Bush.  (The Frute
being up to then of the smooth variety.)  But the next Seson's Frutem after the
Cat was berred, the Gooseberry was all Hairy--and more Remarkable, the
Catapilers of the Same Bush was All of said Hairy description."

    2.  Gooseberries and a Cat.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 28, 1904. p.
4 (1 page)

    3.  Day By Day Story of the Experirmental Farms; Quadruplet Lambs.
Frank Ridgway. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 15,
1936. p. 11 (1 page)

    4.  Westward Ho!; TREE WAGON. By Evelyn Sibley Lampman. Illustrated by
Robert Frankenberg. 251 pp. New York: Doubleday & Co. $2.75. For Ages 9 to 12.
ROSE FRIEDMAN.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 3,
1954. p. BR22 (1 page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIOVE.COM)
Daily Review - 6/17/1894
...s torn CAT died and was burled under a GOOSEBERRY BUSH.The next crop of..
Decatur, Illinois Sunday, June 17, 1894  647 k

CHICAGO TRIBUNE WEATHER GUY DOES IT AGAIN

   I just checked again, with my unexpected ProQuest database access.  He's
now answered this question wrong twice within three months.
   Ten years ago, I first wrote to the Chicago Tribune.  This is never gonna
end!

(PROQUEST NEWSPAPERS)
ASK TOM WHY:[Chicagoland Final , CN Edition]
Tom Skilling. Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Ill.:  May 24, 2004.  pg. 8

Abstract (Article Summary)
It's just the politics. Chicago's "Windy City" nickname was coined in New
York City, and it has no weather connection. In 1893, New York Sun editor Charles
Dana, having grown weary of hearing Chicago politicians boast of the huge
success of Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, editorially dubbed
Chicago "that Windy City."

Full Text (201   words)
Copyright 2004 by the Chicago Tribune)

WEATHER REPORT.

Dear Tom,

Since moving to Naperville in December, I have noticed many windy days. My
husband says it is not any more windy here than in any other region. I disagree.
He says the phrase "the Windy City" is the only reason I think this. He
believes it's because of the politicians, and I say it's because of the politics
and the wind.

Dahlia Tusa, Naperville, Ill.

Dear Dahlia,

It's just the politics. Chicago's "Windy City" nickname was coined in New
York City, and it has no weather connection. In 1893, New York Sun editor Charles
Dana, having grown weary of hearing Chicago politicians boast of the huge
success of Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, editorially dubbed
Chicago "that Windy City."

Wind records from 255 U.S. cities indicate that 75 cities have higher average
winds than Chicago's 10.4 m.p.h.

Tom Skilling is chief meteorologist at WGN-TV. His forecasts can be seen
Monday through Friday on WGN-TV News at noon and 9 p.m.

Write to: ASK TOM WHY, 2501 Bradley Pl., Chicago, IL 60618 or
asktomwhy at wgntv.com (Mail volume precludes personal response.)

WGN-TV meteorologists Steve Kahn, Richard Koeneman and Paul Dailey plus
weather producer Bill Snyder contribute to this page.