dirty words in dictionaries

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jun 4 13:16:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:08:24AM -0400, George Thompson wrote:

>  As I recall, Gershom Legman was very insistent on the
> difference between fellation and irrumation; probably in his
> books on dirty jokes (all 1400 pages) but he was inclined to
> repeat his whimwham, so it may be in several places there
> and in some of his other books as well.

The earliest Legman reference to this is likely to be:

_Fellation_ and _irrumation_ are usually given a foreign sound
by leaving off the "n" and putting them in italics or
quotation marks; and although these two terms refer to
exactly opposite practices, they are almost universally
believe to be synonymous. [etc.]

-- G. Legman, "The Language of Homosexuality", in G. W.
Henry _Sex Variants_ II 1151.