kyarn

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon Jun 7 21:16:48 UTC 2004

This reminds me of the opening scene in the old "Story of English" video on
Black English.  Some whites are talking about their childhood memories of a
term they borrowed from servants on the plantation/estate (whatever they
call it these days).  I transcribed it as "yedi" without knowing what it
meant, until someone said it was "hear" or "hear ye" or something like
that.  Then I realized it involved palatalization plus flapping.  A better
dialect spelling might therefore be "hyear" plus whatever affix was meant
(my memory is weak on the exact sound).  Is this initial palatalizing
common in Southern English in general? or only in AAVE, and there only in
older speakers?  I'm not familiar with it in Appalachian English, though
apparently it's in Ozark English.