"Morning in America" (1984); "Teflon" President (1983)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jun 10 04:32:40 UTC 2004

In a 1995 article, Elliot King and Michael Schudson say that Reagan
was first described as "the Great Communicator" during the first 6
months of his first term. I found a Russell Baker piece on political
cliches in the NY Times from January 27, 1976 in which "Ronald Reagan
is 'a great communicator'" is listed as a bit of conventional
political wisdom. I haven't found anything earlier than that in the
Times, the WSJ, or newspaperarchive.com, but given the Baker context
the phrase must have been in use before then. Can anyone help with
this? Also, it would be interesting to know when the phrase was first
used with the definite article (which changed the sense of 'great',
of course) -- was this before the 1980 election?

Geoff Nunberg