Prescriptive question

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Jun 10 22:31:19 UTC 2004

It's not at all hard to see the "lurking we," which is probably why "our"
in this construction is so common no matter what people's high school
English teachers tried to tell them.  But I remember being taught that "it"
was de rigueur in formal writing, and I wonder if there are still those who
would go "tsk! tsk!" at the "we."

--On Thursday, June 10, 2004 6:09 PM -0400 "Dennis R. Preston"