Fwd: LINGUIST 30Q

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon Jun 14 18:33:21 UTC 2004

Wow, this gives me heart to object to the writing on our university
website's instructions to international applicants.  It includes run-ons,
fragments, missing commas, oversupplied commas, etc.--all of which native
readers could disentangle but nonnatives could get, well, tangled up in.  I
WILL complain now, though I'm dealing, I'm sure, with low-level page
writers who may not even understand what I'm complaining about.

BTW, I love that "alright" too--a spelling this curmudgeon gets all riled
up about.  (And has anyone noticed that the NY Times fussily uses "roiled
up" whenever it has to use the phrase?  Who on earth ever says "roiled up"?)