Absolute "not so much" = "not really"

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 25 17:17:34 UTC 2004

So, this "not so much" thing still sounds very new/affected even though I use
it quite often.  It still feels like a quote, and sure enough... here it is
in "Friends".  I have no doubt that that's where I got it from, but I won't
guess about the origin.
I found this "Friends" transcript online (http://www.eigo-i.com/friends/).
It seems to be a reliable source.  The first cite is maybe questionable, but
the second one is dead on.  I didn't search beyond the second cite for any
others.
Season 1, Episode 103 "The One with the Thumb"
Chandler: Don't think of it as a cigarette. Think of it as the thing that's
been missing from your hand. When you're holding it, you feel right. You feel
complete.
Joey: Y'miss it?
Chandler: Nah, not so much. Alright, now we smoke. (Takes a puff.) Oh.. my..
God. (He continues to smoke.)

Season 6, Episode 12, "The One with the Joke"
Chandler: (picks up the phone) All right, you want to see if the joke stealer
will let us watch the show at his place?
Joey: Sure.
Chandler: (with phone to ear, obviously hearing no dial tone) Paid your phone
bill?
Joey: Not so much.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham