"fuck" in Wash Post

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jun 25 17:58:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 01:08:21PM -0400, Orin Hargraves wrote:
> Just a suggestion -- which would be very helpful to me, perhaps to others:
> when the f-word or some other vulgarism is the subject of a thread or posting,
> how about disguising it in the subject line: e.g., as "the f-word," or "f**k."
> My ISP's spam filter (about which I have otherwise only the highest praise)
> will not let things like this through when they appear in the subject line,
> though it doesn't seem to care about the content. If I want to read anything
> from such a thread I have to spring it from "Quarantine," which is unwieldly
> and not always dependable. Thanks!

Actually, I think that the right response should be for you to
complain vigorously to your ISP, or switch to another one. I'm
sorry that it's difficult for you, but this is a scholarly list,
and I don't want to censor it or misrepresent message contents
just to get around a prudish spam filter.

Perhaps not directly relevant, but I've just looked at my own
mail logs. Since 5:20 A.M. on 9 June, the last time I rolled
over my log (I won't bother searching my older logs, but I
think the results would be similar), I've received 15,583
e-mails; of these, the ones containing "fuck" in the subject
line (in any capitalization) are:

 panix2~ $ grep -i 'Subject:.*fuck' .procmail/log