"C-level"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 1 20:37:44 UTC 2004

I don't recall seeing this term before, and now discover it twice in the
March 1, 2004 issue of Computerworld.

Page 4:  "And where a company puts its "IP", as business folks dub
intellectual property, therin lies corporate power, justifying the C-lvel title and a
fancy-schmancy office.  With the arrival of software as a service, the breadth
of IP under a CIO's wing is shirnking."

letter to the editor page 19 column 2: "If a person has a C-lvel title, he
needs to actively contribut to the creation and implementation of company
strategy.  Suggesting otherwise is absurd.  CFOs are expected to be more than
accountants, and COOs are expected to be more than factory foremen."

Thye meaning is "a top-level job in a company whose title begins with the
word "chief"", e.g. CEO, COO, CFO (Chief Fianacial Officer), CIO (Chief
INformation Officer.)

I was also unaware of the meaning given above for "IP"

In a message dated Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:10:38 -0500,  Damien Hall
<halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> says:

>if you receive the digest version of this list, the individual posts don't
>  have their subject-lines or their senders at the top of them.

I receive the digest version and each post in the digest has DATE, FROM, and
SUBJECT.

      - James A. Landau