IP (Was: "C-level")

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Mar 1 22:37:40 UTC 2004

        "IP," as an abbreviation for intellectual property, has been around a few years.  I think it began, and to a significant extent remains, as a legal term.  Lawyers who specialized in the area got tired of being called patent lawyers, when they also had other important responsibilities.  The earliest use of IP I see is from a 1984 seminar outline on Westlaw:  Practising Law Institute PLI Order No. B4-6688 September 18, 1984 Seventh Annual Institute for Corporate Counsel: Acquisitions and Divestitures ACQUISITION AND DIVESTITURE OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY Evelyn M. Sommer:

        >>As used herein, intellectual property includes
1. Patents
2. Trademarks
3. Copyrights
4. Trade Secrets
5. "Technology" = know how

        B. Role of Counsel for Acquiring Company
1. Merger situation--little direct responsibility
2. Acquisition situation--
a). Letter of intent or preliminary agreement--require statement that seller will transfer or license (royalty free?) all IP necessary to continue the business.
b) Similar clause in Final Agreement in order to cover any "forgotten" IP<<

        Note that "intellectual property" is carefully defined, while "IP" is used in only one place in the outline, without definition, even though lawyers frequently define obvious abbreviations.  I take this to mean that "IP" was an informal term that the writer used inadvertently.

John Baker