stoopnagle

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue Mar 2 23:22:15 UTC 2004

I didn't know anyone else knew this word.  My mom used it all the time, but I don't know where she got it.  I assumed it was from the German WW2 general (I think that was his rank) Karl von Stu"lpnagel, who bungled one of the plots and was given 'Hitler's leave.'  I like your explanation better, tho.
Fritz Juengling

>>> SClements at NEO.RR.COM 02/29/04 05:06PM >>>
My dad always called someone this in the 1950's when they acted in a dumb way.

This term must have come from the radio show "Colonel Stoopnagle and Budd" from 1930's.

Has any publication picked up on the slang sense of the term--stoopnagle=stupid person?

Sam Clements