Upstate/downstate

Larissa H. Chen chen at ALVIN.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 3 23:49:01 UTC 2004

Both are true.  To people from NYC anything north of the Bronx is "upstate",
but as a native Yonkersian (?) I can attest that no one I knew from home
considered our fair city to be part of that northern region - uh, area.

I have a friend from Yonkers who tells people she is from "south eastern
New York State" to be clear that she is neither from the city nor upstate.

An acquaintance from Plattsburgh always said he was from "north eastern
New York State" so as to be clear that he wasn't from Westchester.

Larissa

++>Yonkers is
++>upstate.
++
++It isn't for folks who liver there or nearby.  Indeed, I have the
++impression that people who commute to NYC do not consider themselves
++"upstate" at least from the end of MetroNorth RR commutation runs.
++
++Regards,
++David