Bridge and Tunnel people

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 4 02:16:56 UTC 2004

At 6:56 PM -0500 3/3/04, Larissa H. Chen wrote:
>I'd use the noun New Jersey.  I guess this excludes LI.  From my current
>perspective west of the Hudson.
>
>But I've never thought of outer boroughers as part of the bridge
>and tunnel crowd.
>
>Larissa

I would reckon Staten Island as being part of that crowd (at least
after the Verrazzano was built), but I don't have similar intuitions
about the other outer boroughs.  I know, you'd usually get to S.I.
from "the City" (i.e. Manhattan) by ferry, but it does seem sort of
quasi-Jersey-like, you have to admit.  (Bridge-tunnel-and-ferry
crowd?)  The Bronx and Brooklyn you'd get to by bridge or tunnel, but
they're not suburban enough to qualify.  I'm not sure about Queens.

larry horn