"Yankee" and "Dixie" dialects

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Thu Mar 4 05:07:44 UTC 2004

At 3/3/2004 01:55 PM -0800, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:

> >http://www.chuckchamblee.com/dom/fun/yankee_dixie_quiz.htm
>
>Why do I only get a 404 url not found when I try to get this?

Interestingly, when I try to navigate to that URL I get the Internet
Explorer version of the 404 message, even though I am using Netscape.  This
suggests that we are not getting real 404 messages, but that the page
actually residing at that URL is a copy of the IE 404 message.  I was able
to take the test by Googling "Harvard Computer Dialect Survey" and going
the the cached copy of this page.

And FWIW, in spite of the flaws in the test, this lifelong Midwesterner
scored a predictable 38%.

   Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
   pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA