Upstate/downstate

Joel Shaver vole at NETW.COM
Thu Mar 4 17:48:04 UTC 2004

Having lived next door to the Idaho panhandle for most of my life, I
would say that the only terms I've ever heard used to differentiate
were "The Panhandle" and "Northern" vs. "Southern" Idaho.  The
beginning of the panhandle is generally the cutoff point.

I've found there to be a similar dispute amongst Washington natives as
regards the eastern/western boundary.  Most people from the Cascades
west (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, etc.) refer to everything east of the
mountains as "Eastern Washington."  However, many people in the
far-east of Eastern Washington (Spokane, etc.) consider there to be a
Central Washington which includes Yakima, Tri Cities, etc.  People from
Central Washington seem generally to agree that they are from Eastern
Washington, though I've found a few who described themselves as
Central.  Interestingly (and in accordance with my personal feelings),
there is a Western Washington University in Bellingham, a Central
Washington University in Ellensburg, and an Eastern Washington
University in Cheney.

Joel Shaver