origin of slur--horizontal Oriental vagina

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Mar 5 05:51:57 UTC 2004

>Any early cites for this American? piece of flotsam?

I don't have any, but to possibly assist in directing a search I'll make a
few remarks.

I can myself vouch for the currency of this myth or "tall tale" pre-1965
(Detroit) (in two variants, horizontal ["crosswise"] and oblique
["slanted"], as I recall). [This mythical description was not regarded as a
slur by the tale-tellers AFAIK.]

Apparently the myth was widely known in Japan (per two Japanese nationals
[not mutually acquainted], who both seemed to find it humorous and
inoffensive BTW) pre-1974.

Here is a passage from a favorite book, a memoir by Charles Willeford,
_Something about a Soldier_ (1986) (p. 176):

<<"What's Jack doing these days?" I asked.
<<"He went to sea. He's a mess boy in the Merchant Marine. He sent me a
postcard from Hong Kong the other day, saying it isn't true."
<<"It isn't true. I just got back from the Philippines myself, and I can
vouch for it. ....">>

The conversation is recalled from Los Angeles, apparently 1938; I *suspect*
that the recollection is close to accurate. There is no preliminary
conversation, and there is no indication in the text -- before or after --
of what it is that "isn't true" ... apparently Willeford thought it was
clear enough ... and indeed I think we can make a pretty good guess.

-- Doug Wilson