Re:       chopped liver--consciousness-raising is in order

Fri Mar 5 18:01:42 UTC 2004

I've never thought of this as a derogatory reference with respect to chopped
liver per se. Of course, lots of people don't LIKE chopped liver (I'm not one
of them), and I have to admit that chopped liver is not very pretty, nor does
it smell like perfume. And we all remember what Portnoy did with liver.

So I guess there may be reasons why people would think of chopped liver as
relatively inconsequential, especially as compared to the importance and
sensitivity of a human being. But the degree of respect is surely in the mind of the
speaker.

I also say, "What am I, a potted plant?" And I love potted plants.