Light turns green, car behind you honks (1948, 1950)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 6 03:49:19 UTC 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/07/magazine/07ONLANGUAGE.html
Attaboy, Attosecond!
By WILLIAM SAFIRE
Published: March 7, 2004
Do you have a minute?'' That's what we used to say when the person we were
accosting was in a rush. That notion of a very short time was reduced, not long
ago, by the split second, which was defined by New York Traffic Commissioner
T.T. Wiley in 1950 as ''the time between the light turning green and the guy
behind you honking.''

   T. T. Wiley didn't coin this in 1950.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Independent Record - 1/6/1948
...interval it lakes, after tne traffic LIGHT TURNS GREEN, for some damn fool
behma you to.....lets her defenses down is better than born HONKING, Norman
Vincent 'and becom6S Involved.....might Of a new generation, the children: of
LIGHT. Madison Square Garden in aganda, but a.....Japan was forced into war.
-Composer Johnny GREEN will tree education. It is either, make..
Helena, Montana Tuesday, January 06, 1948  639 k
Pg. 4, col. 1:
   It is said that the smallest measurable unit of time is the interval it
takes, after the traffic light turns green, for some damn fool behind you to
honk his horn.