Can of Worms (1951); Candy From a Baby (1902); How You Play the Game (1926)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 7 19:52:40 UTC 2004

   A few more of Gregory Titelman's American Proverbs checked here.
   Some Fred Shapiro-type work before I get to my Grant Barrett-type work and
Andy Smith-type work.  Then my laundry and my taxes.

CAN OF WORMS

  OED has 1962 for the worms.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Appleton Post Crescent - 4/29/1940
...ANO HOMI SOON.... AND we ALWAYS TOSSES HIS CAN OF WORMS INTO TM8 WATtR
WHiN ROOM and.....AFTER, BUILD oun. OWN BAKEAV BY JOVE, I CAN EVEN SEE WHERE WE
WILL WAVE TO EXPAND.....Hood, forests OF redwood trees, the Lakes OF Killarney,
the Alps OF Switzerland, and.....OF your scrapbook.) If you want a free copy
OF the leaflet entitled OF j European War..
Appleton, Wisconsin Monday, April 29, 1940  916 k

Lethbridge Herald - 9/10/1953
...under operational conditions in such a ''CAN OF WORMS and it was even
.harder to.....Like 'CAN OF WORMS1 TCA Head Scores Complicated.....complexity OF
construction, is like n OF WORMS. Speaking as guest OF honor at Sinner.....she
intends to marry as soon as the singer CAN obtain a divorce from his third
wife..
Lethbridge, Alberta Thursday, September 10, 1953  554 k

Ironwood Daily Globe - 11/29/1951
...Info, Right From Supply Department 'A CAN OF WORMS' BY PETER EDSON The
question OF.....Soviet aggression is still regarded as "a CAN OF WORMS" at eneral
Elsenhower's SHAPE.....what to surprise her with at Christmas. You CAN count
on your fingers the friends you CAN.....larger than the 5 cents an hour that
CAN be granted under the current formula OF..
Ironwood, Michigan Thursday, November 29, 1951  625 k

Edwardsville Intelligencer - 6/29/1953
...AND GOOD LUCK FROM A LIBERAL AT LARGE. CAN OF WORMS. 'It's why I came
here. She met.....OF Australia at one time. Is he dumb? He CAN't even tell
Galsworthy from gallstone.....Iowa, Smith OF New Jersey, Mundt OF South Dakota and
Fulbright OF Arkansas.....irt OF love does not end with the latching OF the
trolley ear. in Nature, the head OF..
Edwardsville, Illinois Monday, June 29, 1953  701 k

Mansfield News Journal - 7/30/1946
...IS NO OBJECTOUT VOU'D THINK THE PRICE OF A CAN OF WORMS WOULD BREAK HIM
EHBMAN.....FOR DOUGH ON TREES.' BUT, SEERSUCKER y, VOU CAN BUV A WHOLE CAN OF
BUY THE BEST. AN.....GIMME A NEW TACKLE BOX AND A BUTT REST AMD WORMS AT THE
STORESEERSUCKER WILL TOSS HIS.....EXPENSIVE BUT WHAT. AND PAV TWO BITS WHEN I CAN
DIG UP ALL I WANT RIGHT MERE..
Mansfield, Ohio Tuesday, July 30, 1946  813 k

Traverse City Record Eagle - 4/25/1951
...AT DIWNERTIME TffgUY A.THE PINNER. HIM A CAN OF WORMS., IOOK, CHRIS, HE
WON'T THEM HOW.....pronoun 57 2.S 20 24 5g 4-15 SCOTT'S SCRAP BOOK By R. J.
SCOTT lo-fus SEEDS f IVt.....BIHDWASHUNSRY V BUY THEHE'D EAT ANYTHING. WORMS AND
AUO I'M NOT SOIMGVOUr YOU COOK.....PRIZES. DAILY CROSSWORD ACROSS 4. 1. Kind OF
nail 5. Genus OF 5. Illy 6. 9. Adorn 10..
Traverse City, Michigan Wednesday, April 25, 1951  692 k

CANDY FROM A BABY

   This is absolutely right and just.  Babies shouldn't have candy!
   The 1889 citation is probably from 1989.  You just have to know these
things with Newspaperarchive.
   OED has no "candy from a baby" entry?  Titelman gives no date, and 1951 is
his first citation.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Indiana Weekly Messenger - 2/19/1902
...money. To get his bAnk roll is like tAking CANDY FROM A bAby. The' chAnces
Are A.....One English industry which hAs not suffered FROM the invAsion lA
the lAundry which in.....Accounts of Aged chiefs who hAd the story FROM their fA
thers, vthAt the body wAs cut up..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, February 19, 1902  1014 k

Indiana Democrat - 2/12/1902
...money. To get his bAnk roll is like tAking CANDY FROM A bAby. chAnces Are
A thousAnd to.....willing. J. C. ATEK CO., Lowell, MAli. Ties FROM StrAw. A WA
shington mAn hAs struck A.....forwArd with A mAchine which mAke ties FROM strA
w, the cheApest mAteriAl In the..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, February 12, 1902  870 k

Indiana Progress - 1/8/1902
...money. To get his bAnk roll is like tAking CANDY FROM A bAby. The chAnces
Are A thousAnd.....PA. 42 DEAD OR MISSING. ONE LiFE RAFT FROM WALLA WALLA UNHE
ARD OF. SAd Experience.....condition. The steAmer George W. Elder, FROM PortlA
nd, reports thAt she pAssed the..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, January 08, 1902  670 k

Oxnard Courier - 9/27/1902
...thAt to cAsh A bet wAs "like tAking CANDY FROM A bAby." So eAsy, yet withA
l so.....few prices Clothes Pins. 3 dozen 5c 1600 5c BAby Ribbon, 10 yArds
-10c Pins, 4 pAckAges.....AD I JVC TLACE JVo Trouble to Goods Money FROM A,
Turchcue o_f Embroideries In GothAm.....to be considered? 200 yArds of Embroidery
FROM 2 to 6 in wide, dAinty edges, beAutiful..
Oxnard, California Saturday, September 27, 1902  482 k

Mountain Democrat - 11/7/1889
...DemocrAt Correspondent It wAs like steAling CANDY FROM A bAby. Following A
girls.....DorAdo girls win lAugher BRUINS .continued FROM B-1 CougArs host
VintAge in Division II.....to go into plAyoffs with, And A good win FROM the
kids' stAndpoint." By virtue of this..
Placerville, California Thursday, November 07, 1889  464 k

HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME

   "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."  Titleman
says that this was coined by the famed sportswriter Grantland Rice.  He gives
1954 for the date of Rice's "Alumnus Football" poem, but others give 1941 as
this date.  (Rice died in 1954.)
   We should find nothing before 1941...I haven't checked the SPORTING NEWS
or ProQuest yet.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Ironwood Daily Globe - 7/29/1927
...bo In baseball, "It all depends on HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Make THE best of
what YOU've.....done to baseball is listed in every re cord book. What
baseball haa tlono to John Joseph.....a hit with his bat on his shoulder, "Never
PLAY for a tie I Always PLAY to win. "A good.....bucathing, umpire-baiting,
dynamic little GAME cock. Now ho is older, wiser, and..
Ironwood, Michigan Friday, July 29, 1927  499 k

Mansfield News - 11/6/1927
...It isn't wheTHEr YOU in or Josecut HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Walter Camp
saiei it concisely.....go lose or conquer as YOU can. But if YOU fall or it YOU
rise Be.....icitor for THE Mansfield Ne-K-s. is in THE health department be THE
recovering from.....is ehaznsan. -cr.y. he -as engaged in and THE saeeting be
in THE center -.vork for..
Mansfield, Ohio Sunday, November 06, 1927  803 k

Frederick Post - 8/1/1927
...Take a Chance "It all depends on 'HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Make THE best -of
what YOU've.....a hit with -his bat on his shoulder. "Never PLAY for i tie
Always PLAY to win: "A good.....but whose intentions were good. Now THE GAME is
on a higher level. I see more college.....He was a fire-breathing, dynamic
little GAME cock. Now he is older, wiser, and mel..
Frederick, Maryland Monday, August 01, 1927  916 k

Decatur Review - 10/25/1926
...after all, in life or sport, It Is HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME, not what THE
score is, that.....men and women. In sport children learn to PLAY THE GAME,
fairly and with every ounce of.....Is doing well could be expected. THE PLAY given
tay THE Dramatic club was well.....Montgomery and daughter, Nellie tended THE
PLAY given by THE ma'.lc club Thursday..
Decatur, Illinois Monday, October 25, 1926  692 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 7/25/1927
...TAKE A CHANCE "It all depends on. HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Make THE best.of.
what YOU've.....done to baseball is listed In every record book. What
baseball has done to John Joseph.....a hit" with his bat on his shoulder. "Never PLAY
for a tie Always PLAY to win. "A good.....NEW LONDON BOOSTERS .LOOSE THEIR
FIRST GAME Xew London THE New London Boosters lost..
Appleton, Wisconsin Monday, July 25, 1927  975 k

Ironwood Daily Globe - 2/13/1926
...It is not THE victory that but HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME." Smith could make
such a.....by Lilies Quartette. "Peace I Leave With YOU" Koberts. Solo "Lord of
THE Land and Sea.....THEme "Observing ILent." He. will sHOW: I. HOW WP are i
to observe it, and 2, Why we.....of THE Bessemer towniihlp schools, THE Chorus
of THE Purltnn Junior High school..
Ironwood, Michigan Saturday, February 13, 1926  483 k

Hayward Review - 11/5/1926
...much wheTHEr YOU win or lose, its HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME." Draw YOUr own j
conclusions.....THE open spaces that atti acted him. It was THE cows THE
mselves. YOU see each cow.....Road to Glory." ALSO Laura La Plante in "THE Beautiful
Cheat" THE gorgeous drama of.....dishes more wholesome and nutritious. Do YOU
know that YOU can buy Mutual Milk for 9c..
Hayward, California Friday, November 05, 1926  618 k
Pg. 4?, col. 3:
   Asked whether he indulged in out door sports and things, this man of ready
wit replied "It's not so much wether you win or lose, it's how you play the
game."  Draw your own conclusions as to what he meant by that.
(Attributed here to Lee Wilbur, not Grantland Rice--ed.)