How You Played the Game (1918); Tsatske

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 7 20:50:56 UTC 2004

HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME

   On further review, the AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS has 1930
for Grantland Rice's "Alumnus Football."  Still way off.
   I forgot to look for "how you PLAYED the game."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Decatur Daily Review - 7/18/1921
...writes not that YOU won or los But HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME. f MASTER IN
CHANCERY'S SALE.....of THE 3rd P. M., as per pint recorded in Book 14, page 455
of THE records of Macon.....THE fightihK cop is not a novice at THE GAME,
having cleaned up everything put agalns.....to THE City of Decatur, as sHOWn by
plat in Book 22, at page 560 in THE recorder's office..
Decatur, Illinois Monday, July 18, 1921  688 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 4/29/1924
...writes Not that YOU won or lost But HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME." FRED FELIX
WETTENGEL GEORGE.....for THE Kimberly-Clark company. He is THE book paper
manufacturing member of THE club.....at THE center of THE whole business that THE
Rotarians THEmselves hardly realize HOW.....MAY YOUR VISIT TO APPLETON BE ONE
THAT YOU WILL LONG REMEMBER. Scheil Bros. GOOD..
Appleton, Wisconsin Tuesday, April 29, 1924  670 k

Wellsboro Agitator - 10/30/1918
...thought and' watched his every move, and he PLAYED a soldier's' part. 'Xp
greater.....a slant in THE air. When ing down YOU get THE same sensation as
when starting down in a.....looks like quite a probVeiii to figure .out HOW a
person is able to hold THE: steady.....believing that THE experience I have
gained THE better fits me to serve YOU and our..
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania Wednesday, October 30, 1918  908 k

Ironwood Daily Globe - 2/20/1926
...writes not that YOU won or lost But HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME. Ira H.
McCiymonds, Pastor.....a decision. A-notlicr ttttrno will be PLAYED between THEse
two mjuads In THE near.....school gym Thursday night. THE opening GAME between
THE Scouti Middles and THE.....In THE last quarter THE Scouts tied THE GAME up
at 19 all. In an overtime period both..
Ironwood, Michigan Saturday, February 20, 1926  640 k

Decatur Review - 11/13/1923
...not that YOU -won or lost, But HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME. Officiate of
MlHikin and.....his lessons from THE passages in THE book, he preponted to THE
Klwanlans some of.....toward THE Crimson section formed an and PLAYED 'THE Crimson
Flames In Triumph.' That.....should take. Honor THE opponent, play THE GAME
tn THE best sporting ethics and renumber..
Decatur, Illinois Tuesday, November 13, 1923  639 k

Wellsboro Agitator - 11/13/1918
...YOUr name He not that YOU won But HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME. THE prices of
Shoes at Smith.....hen THE war is over YOU read THE history of THE S. Army in
where THE 79th shot to pieces.....THE chosen line and were Oct. YOUr over THE
-top: Words can't half express. HOW glad I.....THE best; but let THE cause be
what it may, THE opinion of THE Anierican Iwys is that THE..
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania Wednesday, November 13, 1918  926 k
Pg. 2, col. 7:
For when the one great Scorer comes
   To write against your name
He writes--not that you won or lost,
   But how you played the game.
(This is in an ad, not attributed to anyone.  It's probably from Grantland
Rice.  At least we have a closer date to it--ed._

Sheboygan Press - 7/14/1925
...not thnt YOU won or lost, but HOW YOU PLAYED THE GAME. Courteous, gracious
and.....thirty-five oTHErs serve YOU with laughs at THE rate of six ty per
minute. THE above.....or individual and should teach children HOW and What io
play, through individual.....THE uso of THE apparatus unless under THE personal
supervision of THE supervisor..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin Tuesday, July 14, 1925  929 k

CAN OF WORMS

   The RHHDAS has 1927-1928 for "it's all like a canful of angle-worms to
me!" and then 1954-1960.  I'm a little curious if there's a citation gap between
1927 and 1951.

TSATSKE

   Why is anyone still using OED dates for something we've antedated here?
   DARE asked about the term and I discussed "Tsatske" on 15 March 2000,
about four years ago.  I discussed 1921, 1931, 1935 amd 1949 citations.  The word
was credited as "Polish."