Wine Cooler; Sangria

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Mon Mar 8 03:19:58 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>

[[    I was asked by an OUP-type person to do "wine cooler" ASAP:

 What's the first reference you can find for "wine-cooler," meaning a
beverage composed of white wine and fruit (as opposed to a device for
cooling wine), and what's the first reference to "sangria" in the United
States (as opposed to references to sangria in other countries).

 SANGRIA

    I have some "Sangria" posts in the ADS-L archives, perhaps relevant.]]

Barry,
You posted the following in ADS

<<Is "Sangria" Mexican?
     This is from Barnhart's Dictionary of Etymology:
_sangria_ n. Spanish drink made of red wine mixed with fruit juices.  1736
_sangre_; later _sangaree_ (1785),  _sangria_ (1954); of uncertain origin.
The word is attested in English nearly a century before it is recorded in
Spanish, and Corominas considers it improbable that the word is derived from
Spanish _sangria_ bleeding.>>

Also, there is a Newpaperarchive hit for sangria in 1951. ("...sangria,
which is a mixture of red wine and fruit juices.")  This was penned by a
columnist in Spain.

SC

Sam Clements