Actor's Dialects

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Mon Mar 8 03:39:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:37:27 -0500 Grant Barrett

> ridiculous things such as teach one broad Southern accent, which is
> guess why you tend to get characters supposedly from Texas sounding
> like they're from Alabama and vice versa.

We recently spent some time in the deep South. I had been to Florida many
times, but never spent time wandering around Alabama, Mississippi,
Louisiana, and east Texas. My daughter, who lives among them, thought I
was making fun because I was beginning to speak with a rural Southern
drawl. I hadn't even noticed.

When I was a youth, I was quite involved in church work which took me to
many national meetings where Southerners predominated. (Hint: it wasn't
Christian Science.) I always came back with an accent noticeable to my
northern friends and which lingered for several days.

Question: Are Southern accents infective? Does this phenomenon happen to
many people or just me?

I am Duane Campbell and I approve this message