Wildfires v. Forest Fires

Mon Mar 8 14:57:45 UTC 2004

>Date:   Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:39:50 -0800
>From:  "Dave Wilton" <dave at WILTON.NET>
>Subject:       Wildfires v. Forest Fires

>This has come up on ADS-L in the past, but I note
that >Smokey The Bear's tagline has changed ...

Just a reminder, it's "Smokey Bear" nowdays.

--- "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>>         Isn't this related to the difference
between
>> "good" and "bad" fires?  See
>> http://www.smokeybear.com/good-bad.asp.  The old
>> language suggested that all forest fires are bad,
>> which is no longer the Forest Service's position.
>>
>> John Baker

Could be, but "wildfires" includes fires where there
are no trees, and the USFS administers a lot of land
where there are no trees.  "Wildfire" encompasses
uncontrolled fire on all lands, irrespective of cover,
ownership or administration.

=====