doesn't/don't

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Mar 9 15:27:29 UTC 2004

At 9:35 -0500 9/03/04, Page Stephens wrote:
>I should have said third but then this is not the first time I have uploaded
>in haste and repented at leisure.
>
>Page

Well, that makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification. On the
other hand, strictly speaking, don't has never been standard for 3rd
person singular. The positive forms for 3rd person singular present
of do have been either doth or does. I can't think of a time when do
was standard for 3s.

What makes your friend think it was? Does s/he have any examples?

Barbara Need
UChicago--Linguistics