"Par bake" (bread); Dorgan on Journal-American (!)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Mar 10 19:37:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:53:16AM -0500, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> (OED)
> parbake, v.
> nonce-wd.
>     trans. To bake partially, half bake.
>
> 1885 MRS. RITCHIE Mrs. Dymond I. vi, Everything was so hot
>and so glaring that very few people were about; a few
>par-baked figures went quickly by.

The revised OED entry now has a first cite from 1841 (in a
non-figurative context), and the note "_rare_ before 20th
cent.". If you have something before that 1985 Factiva
quote, it would fill a big gap.

Jesse "Yes, someone reads these" Sheidlower
OED