politically sensitive labels

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 11 05:32:25 UTC 2004

Two excellent sources for the origins and subsequent development of
'liberal', 'conservative', etc. are:

Ronald Rotunda, _The Politics of Language: Liberalism as Word and
Symbol_, U. of Iowa Press, 1986.

David Green, _The Language of Politics in America: Shaping Political
Consciousness from McKinley to Reagan_, Cornell, 1987. (This in
particular is an invaluable book for anybody interested in the
development of 20th c. political language in America.)

I had an article on the more recent (since 1970) uses of 'liberal' in
the American Prospect, 9/1/03; it's available online at

http://www.prospect.org/print/V14/8/nunberg-g.html

Geoff Nunberg