subject-verb agreement - stridden

Thu Mar 11 14:19:20 UTC 2004

To stride:

1.He strode into the clearing.

2.He had strode into the clearing.
3.He had stridded into the clearing.
4.He had stridden into the clearing.

Sentence 4 is what I think I would say (even if I were
not, as I am now, consciously trying to choose).
FWIW, grammer-check in Word wanted to replace "strode"
and "stridded" in sentences 2 and 3 with "stridden",
and a search at http://www.onelook.com turns up
several on-line dictionaries that agree "stridden" is
the p.p. of "stride".

BUT

To strive:

He had strived to make the world a better pace.

So, Arnold, what is the past participle of "to stride"
that sounds natural to you or your students?

--- "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>

=====