Fw: hippie trivia question

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Thu Mar 11 17:33:13 UTC 2004

RE: Page Stephens' friend John re: wineskin

I used to have one of those cheesy wineskins, too, John... The goal was
to squeeze it into your mouth from a distance down in Austin, anyway --
dramatic and inebriating-- what more could a collegian wish?
We called them "botas" and that's still how they're referred to
occasionally around here (still selling in souvenir markets, etc.)

Your internet translator isn't so great -- "bota" has a first meaning of
dull, as in a blunt blade -- rather than boring.

But the second meaning (I refer to the Velasquez English-Spanish
dictionary, sorry, can't remember which edition at the moment --)
Is more clear: in rural Spain and Mexico, a "bota" referred to a bag
made from the gut of an animal (sheep or goat) and used to carry butter
to market in hot places; the carrier helped keep the contents cool. It's
easy to see the relationship of that bota to the wineskin, at least, the
non-neoprene cap variety. If you wanted to get cute, I suppose you might
say "goata."

There is another word for wineskin., in particular -- 2 syllables,
starts with an "o" -- but I don't remember using it, though it's more
specifically correct.
And the Velasquez also lists "pellejo de vino" -- a more literal
translation.

Buena suerte,
Susan Yerkes