snow-related deaths

Fri Mar 12 00:49:45 UTC 2004

from my wife:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:01:30 -0500
From: Rene s Mandel
Subject: A Philadelphia Euphemism

A response when I asked someone who said she was 4th
generation Philadelphian, land of cheese-steaks and
snow-related deaths, what a snow-related death was:

Well, we didn't have any this year, but last year they were referred to as
"snow-related deaths" by the news when somebody stole somebody else's
shoveled parking place (you know, the ones people put lawnchairs on to
protect?) and the "owner" of said spot shot him.

It was just funny because everyone I talked to knew what had happened just
from the title.