Antedating of "Cosmonaut"; Crying Towel (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 12 06:54:51 UTC 2004

RE: COSMONAUT

   Ach!  It looks like the "1955" Sheboygan newspaper is off, too.  I'm
making a list of Newspaperarchive errors.  I couldn't open up the article.

CRYING TOWEL

CRYING TOWEL--4,190 Google hits, 3,740 Google Groups hits

   Not in OED.  The DICTIONARY OF SPORTS IDIOMS gives no date.
   I discussed "crying towel" before on ADS-L, but I can't open up our
archives right now, either...I checked THE SPORTING NEWS, but it's not close to
these cites.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Bedford Gazette - 10/31/1930
...sportsmen nor do we: -deem it advisable to "CRYING, TOWEL" when, .the,
home: .team loses..
Bedford, Pennsylvania Friday, October 31, 1930  965 k

Chronicle Telegram - 11/19/1930
...the Xotre Dame supporters to get? out the 'CRYING TOWEL' just because they
have lost Joe.....than "Pug" Rentner and you don't see us CRYING over
Rentner's loss. We'll miss..
Elyria, Ohio Wednesday, November 19, 1930  940 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 10/24/1931
...the other day and we went running for the CRYING TOWEL Amalgamated Gadgets
are of the..
Appleton, Wisconsin Saturday, October 24, 1931  869 k

Coshocton Tribune - 11/18/1930
...Nov. 18. Professional golfers got out their CRYING TOWELS today and
mourned the..
Coshocton, Ohio Tuesday, November 18, 1930  667 k

Havre Daily News - 12/6/1930
...Associated Press) ROCKVILLE CENTER, N. Y. CRYING TOWELS are being
distributed by the..
Havre, Montana Saturday, December 06, 1930  869 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 11/20/1930
...long been the cause of an active market in CRYING TOWELS when he starts to
tell of what.....than any man who has ever owned tfurro. "CRYING Jim" has..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, November 20, 1930  736 k

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune - 12/6/1930
...will be handled. Rockville Centre, N. Y. CRYING TOWELS are being
distributed by the..
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Saturday, December 06, 1930  833 k

Chronicle Telegram - 4/9/1929
...sending for j CHICAGO, April 9. A Unke, the CRYING TOWELS before
mid-summer. And there..
Elyria, Ohio Tuesday, April 09, 1929  933 k

Sheboygan Press - 4/10/1929
...has the opposition sending for the CRYING TOWELS before mid-summer. And
there..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin Wednesday, April 10, 1929  914 k