Re:       'mo = homo

Sat Mar 13 00:40:18 UTC 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> It SOUNDS like something I've heard before, but maybe I'm getting it
>> confused
>> with 'za = pizza, which has certainly been around for a while. Not
>> that there
>> is much of a semantic connection between 'mo and 'za.
>
> Which reminds me - I still want to know how 'za is pronounced.

/za/.  derived from the spelling, presumably.

stanford is famous for two-part back-clipping, giving CoHo for Coffee
House, CoPo for Corner Pocket, FloMo for Florence Moore (a dorm),
MemChu for Memorial Church, etc.  the pronunciations are all based on
the spellings of the clipped forms.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)