Animal Crackers (1883); Whistling Woman & Crowing Hen (1840)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 13 06:44:54 UTC 2004

ANIMAL CRACKERS

   We'll re-check "animal crackers" on Newspaperarchive.com.  Nabisco
produced the famous ones in 1902, but I had found an earlier "animal crackers"
advertisement in the October 1895 LADIES' HOME JOURNAL.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
North Adams Transcript - 5/14/1900
...experience has taught us what you dark's ANIMAL CRACKERS 6c quart
CHARCOAL, CHARCOAL..
North Adams, Massachusetts Monday, May 14, 1900  0 k

Marion Daily Star - 5/15/1899
...on top of the chiffonier ami a few of those ANIMAL CRACKERS for baby, and
don't forget..
Marion, Ohio Monday, May 15, 1899  737 k

Perry Pilot - 4/25/1883
...intervals, along the table, were plates of ANIMAL CRACKERS, standing np to
their tnees.....Such an array of CRACKERS 1 There were CRACKERS as large as a
tea-plate CRACKERS as.....it; but I dare say your father will think CRACKERS
an improvement on any other style of.....sight. There were two banks of square
CRACKERS, built up o represent the piers of a..
Perry, Iowa Wednesday, April 25, 1883  580 k
Pg. 7?, col. 2:
   At 5, they were ushered into the dining-room.  There, in the middle of the
table, was the famous center-piece that has cost the boys so much planning.
There were two banks of square crackers, built up to represent the piers of a
bridge, about eighteen inches high, and across the top rested a mammoth
cracker, two feet long and one and a half feet wide.  On this stood a cracker
elephant, a foot high, with big ears--a regular cracker Jumbo.  He was made to stand
by means of wires that were put into the dough before baking.  Among the
crackers that formed the piers were vines and mosses, supposed to be growing.
   SUch an array of crackers!  There were crackers so large as a
tea-plate--crackers as small as a half-dollar; hard ones and soft ones, square ones and
round ones, sweet ones and those not sweet--eighteen different kinds.  At
intervals, along the table, were plates of animal crackers, standing up to their
knees in wine-colored jelly.  There were cracker-sandwiches and nice little
cracker-pies and cracker-coffee, for a beverage.
   Mrs. Green has to confess that the cracker party was a great success, and
the children declared that they had enjoyed it more than any other which the
twins had given.--_Good Cheer_.

Evening Bulletin - 10/17/1895
...received the booby's prize, a string of ANIMAL CRACKERS. Other Parties.
Little Karl.....and dancing. A new game was played called. ANIMAL Gum
Combination. Prizes awarded to the..
Decatur, Illinois Thursday, October 17, 1895  460 k

Newark Daily Advocate - 2/14/1895
...a small boy exclaimed as he sorted over the ANIMAL CRACKERS on his plate,
"Here's a..
Newark, Ohio Thursday, February 14, 1895  1026 k

News - 5/25/1897
...sarnb, 16ct extra ginger snaps. So, ANIMAL CRACKERS; lOo. peiiUta oreams,
200. 0.....BAILINCJS. HET Another large invoice of CRACKERS and rases direct
from tbe celebrated..
Frederick, Maryland Tuesday, May 25, 1897  973 k

Democratic Standard - 4/28/1899
...on top of the cbiSonier and a few of those ANIMAL CRACKERS for baby, and
don't forgot..
Coshocton, Ohio Friday, April 28, 1899  1042 k

Mountain Democrat - 5/13/1899
...on top of chiffonier and a few of those ANIMAL CRACKERS for baby, and
tlori't forget..
Placerville, California Saturday, May 13, 1899  541 k

A WHISTLING WOMAN AND A CROWING HEN NEVER COME TO A VERY GOOD END

WHISTLING WOMAN + CROWING HEN--213 Google hits, 45 Google Groups hits

   Variously phrased.  Also, "a whistling woman and a crowing hen is neither
good to beast nor men."  Or, "a whistling woman and a crowing hen will always
come to some bad end."
   The following Google site also had "long-tailed cat in a house of rocking
chairs," and we're checking on the other phrases in the "Dixie" list.
Somebody's got to do this stuff, and we now have the tools.

(GOOGLE)
http://uptowncity.com/Dixie/dict3.htm
A whistlin' woman and a crowin' hen never comes to a good end. (Don't put on
airs.)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Daily Gleaner - 6/13/1987
...of and reason for the proverb: 'A WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN are
abominations unto.....version of the proverb Is: 'A WHISTLING WOMAN and a
CROWING HEN are neither fit for.....and Man li. give the version: 'A WHISTLING WOMAN
and a CROWING HEN are neither fit for.....Proverbs however, gives. 'A
WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN will fear the old lad..
Kingston, Kingston Saturday, June 13, 1987  497 k

Daily Gleaner - 7/13/1982
...people said it was 'A WHISTLING lass and a CROWING HEN" just as in
England, except that.....Nuff'said. -The Listener WHISTLING WOMAN I recently found
amongst; _. my notes a.....might be' chastised and told "A WHISTLING WOMAN is an
abomination to, the Lord." I do.....they all said "WOMAN" instead of lacs. I
even gathered that..
Kingston, Kingston Tuesday, July 13, 1982  630 k

New Era - 11/20/1889
...ladies, the old saying: A WHISTLING: WOMAN and CROWING HEN, Are neither
fit for.....a fire. On the other hand, though artistic WHISTLING has become
quite an accomplishment..
Humeston, Iowa Wednesday, November 20, 1889  750 k

Republican Compiler - 5/26/1840
...that you say? Sol. Oh nothing. A WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN, they
vrsed to say..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Tuesday, May 26, 1840  894 k
Pg. 2, col. 4:
   _Sol._--Oh! nothing.  A whistling woman and a crowing hen, they used to
say, ought to be hanged; but I believe you are only a "_cackling hen_."

Frederick Post - 9/17/2001
...my mother's warning that "a WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN come to no
good." Has.....organize one A FAN OF WHISTLING DEAR FAN OF WHISTLING: You're
about to get your wish.....t believe I said that What does an older WOMAN do if
she doesn't like her.....to receive one of those There is also "WHISTLING in
the and "WHISTLING a happy tune..
Frederick, Maryland Monday, September 17, 2001  1835 k

Middletown Times Herald - 2/12/1932
...World War. Q. Is the proverb "A WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN is
neither gcod for.....morally responsible for the death of one WOMAN and the injury
of another whose ankle.....She may be to your neighborhood. This WOMAN who's
misunderstood. "A toy wife, a.....value. Q. Who was Mata Hari? A. A native
WOMAN of the Dutch East Indies who was a spy..
Middletown, New York   Friday, February 12, 1932  846 k

Press Gazette - 6/30/1967
...A crooning cow, a CROWING HEN and a WHISTLING WOMAN boded never luck to a
James..
Hillsboro, Ohio Friday, June 30, 1967  529 k

Chronicle Telegram - 9/17/2001
...my mother's warning that "a WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN come to no
good." Has.....organize one A Fan of WHISTLING Dear Fan of WHISTLING: You're
about to get your wish.....to receive one of those There is also "WHISTLING in
the and "WHISTLING a happy tune.....I agree with "Whistler in Jenks, Okla."
WHISTLING IS a beautiful art form. How can..
Elyria, Ohio Monday, September 17, 2001  498 k

Middletown Times Herald - 2/5/1932
...Q. Is the old quotation "A WHISTLING WOMAN and a CROWING HEN, is neither
fit for..
Middletown, New York   Friday, February 05, 1932  863 k

Middletown Times Herald - 3/24/1932
...Is the origin of the proverb "A WHISTLING WOMAN and n CROWING HEN is
neither good for.....than 35 years ago to take pictures of a WOMAN feeding
chickens, a running horse and.....no special distinction was awakened by the CROWING
of cocks, i creased the value of.....down. (i Feminine Psychology I A Hollywood
WOMAN divorced a i J traveling salesman the..
Middletown, New York   Thursday, March 24, 1932  845 k