Happy as a dead pig in the sunshine (1868)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 14 05:33:49 UTC 2004

Looks as though it might be a "parole blend" as Jerry would call it;
the main concept seems to be "happy as a pig in the sunshine" with
variants, and then there's "tranquil as a dead pig in the sunshine",
which makes sense, possibly resulting in the 1868 hit (I'm assuming
it was in fact 1868) as a blend of the two; cf. "happy as a clam at
high tide" > "happy as a clam", which makes as little sense the happy
dead pig.  Well, maybe a bit more sense than that, but still...

larry horn