Comedy is tragedy plus time (1962)

James Knight jlk at 3GECKOS.NET
Mon Mar 15 03:03:15 UTC 2004

Essayist Clarence Page also considers Lenny as the source:

CLARENCE PAGE: It's not hard to imagine Lenny somewhere getting a big laugh
out of this. It was he, after all, who famously declared satire to be a
formulation of tragedy plus time. "Give any tragedy enough time," he said,
"and people will let you make fun of it." ( Singing ) Indeed, today even a
musical with a song called "Springtime for Hitler" can be a Broadway hit.
But heaven help the performing artist who is ahead of his or her time. If
Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like, Lenny Bruce never met an
obscene word he didn't like to repeat over and over again, draining it of
its punch and power, and using it to make a larger point about real
obscenity in the world, like war and bigotry and greed. Compared to that,
Lenny would say, "heck, words won't kill you, man. Like, they're only words."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/essays/july-dec03/page_07-15.html

A number of sites refer to this quote:

"Satire is tragedy plus time. You give it enough time, the public, the
reviewers will allow you to satirize it. Which is rather ridiculous, when
you think about it."

-jk