Go to Hell thru [what city?] first

Mon Mar 15 23:40:43 UTC 2004

I tried this and found six hits for Atlanta and two for Dallas. I found
nothing about Eastern Airlines at all. Current use, then, would seem to be divided
between Delta (Atlanta) and American (Dallas).

According to <http://www.aerosite.net/logos32.htm>, Atlanta and Miami were
Eastern Hubs, from the 1950s until they went out of business (in the 1980s?).
Thus it is totrally reasonable that the saying began with Eastern and then
swtiched to Delta when Eastern collapsed. It makes sense, too, that Dallas would
fill in the blank for American users.

It is interesting, though, that this seems to be mostly a Southern
expression. After all, Delta and American both have hubs other than Atlanta. But I don't
find any record of Los Angeles or Chicago or St. Louis or New York (all
American hubs) filling the blank. Or even Miami (American's gateway to South
America).

I wonder why?